Minutes of ANRL’s Board Meeting
Meeting date: Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at the library in Cypress Cove Resort in Kissimmee, FL.
Report submitted by: Bob Proctor, ANRL Secretary - Apr 18, 2014
The audio recording of the meeting is available here
Meeting called to order at 11:00 AM by: President Dave Graber
- Roll Call and attendees: Bob Proctor, Secretary
- Board: Dave Graber (President), Roger Vonland (2nd Vice President), Bob Proctor (Secretary), Roe Ostheim (Treasurer), Ted Hadley (Director)
- Board Members not attending: John Frakes (Vide President)
- Others attending: Fred Van Nest, Wayne Wrightstone, Steve Hiss, Tom Bergin, Helen Fisher, David Fisher
Minutes of Jan 17, 2014 meeting: Minutes are available on our Web site at http://anrl.org/Jan-17-2014-board-meeting Bob Proctor mentioned that the significant event from the last meeting was the election of a President and Secretary. A motion to approve the minutes, seconded and accepted.
President’s Report: Dave Graber read his report saying he thanked everyone for being elected president. He reported the primary purpose of ANRL is preservation but also to be a research library. We need to look at how we’re storing the material and protecting it. Dave reported that we’re searching for a Research Librarian and we’re updating SOP (Standard Operating Procedures.) A new layout plan for the Library will be finalized soon and re-organization of material in the Library will follow.
Vide President’s Report: Roger Vonland reported that he’s feeling better after being ill for a while and that he had nothing else to report.
- Secretary’s Report:
- Bob Proctor reported that he’s receiving correspondence on email@example.com, acting on the issues and engaging others if help is needed. Some mail comes on the depreciated firstname.lastname@example.org account. One significant recent event was renewal of the Florida Non-Profit Corporation Papers. We paid over $250 to cover missing payments over the last 2+ years. Publicity topics were mentioned later in the meeting but include: Articles in The Bulletin, Cypress Cove Newsletter, and ‘N’ Magazine.
- Motion to accept Secretary’s Report seconded and approved.
- Treasurer’s Report: Roe Ostheim distributed copies of the Treasures Report.
- Roe reported that there has been no significant difference in finances for this reporting period when compared to previous periods.
- We spent more on computers, and we have fewer paying members. Digital Fund money is in a CD with an approximate value of $29,084.
- Motion to accept Treasurer’s Report seconded and approved.
- Scanning Report: Ed Westen
- Ed was not present so Dave presented Ed’s report. Files for scanning are up to date. 2341 magazines that have been scanned and converted to OCR .pdf files.
- Ed scanned 2 books: one for a member from England and another for Susan Weaver (AANR President).
- Newsletter Report: Jim Sweeney was not at the meeting and Dave presented his report
- 25 clubs provide newsletters
- 117 Issues so far in 2014
- Technical Committee, Bob Proctor reporting
- We have a new Windows 8.1 computer for Library Patrons to use
- Patron Computer is not working now because of recent thunder storm and electrical surges.
- 3 computers are protected by UPS (Un-interuptable Power Supplies) and are working. The Patron computer has no UPS and was victim of the storm.
- Dave Graber asked Bob to cover the pack-up plan. Bob will distribute our back-up plan to our Staff.
- Bob will be discontinuing Carbonite and replace it with Crashplan which is now working.
- People backup is a place where we are vulnerable. For example: there is no back-up for Bob Proctor who is maintaining the Web site and Database.
- Bob keeps a copy of Crashplan backups on his Drobo and then clones the Drobo and keeps that in a Safe Deposit Box.
- Ted Hadley suggested keeping a backup in the AANR office in Kissimmee.
- Membership report: Bob Proctor
- All membership records are now on the FileMaker 12 database
- Address verification: Reminder notifications have been sent to all unverified members asking for Email verification: sent by USMail, Email or Phone.
- Member Statistics
- 102 have validated Email addresses
- 12 prefer USMail
- 38 have no Email address
- 27 have unvalidated Email addresses
- 68 Paid-Up dues paying members
- 9 Over-Due dues paying members (less than a half year over-due)
- 25 Tardy dues paying members (more than a half year over-due)
- Delivery of reminders, invoices, membership certificates and membership cards is now being done with Email.
- Publicity Report: Bob Proctor
- Closed Facebook Group now has 76 members
- The Bulletin, April issue: “Nudist Challenge for Research Librarian”
- Numerous blurbs in the Cypress Cove Knee
- Mark Silverstein’s article on ANRL will be included in the April issue of the Naturist Society’s “N” Magazine
- Newsletter report:
- Mark & Becky Silverstein’s report was not available for the meeting.
- Old Business
- Copyright: Donna Turner resigned as a Volunteer therefore there is nobody looking at Copyright Issues. We purchased a book “Getting Permission” and that’s available for review.
- Camera Upgrades: Fred Van Nest reported his findings on Camera Upgrades. He reviewed software, cameras and lenses. He suggests looking at either purchasing a used cameras or a new cameras.
- Also to be looked at is repair of our existing camera equipment.
- Motion made to authorize the expenditure of up to $2500 from the Digital Fund for the purchase of new camera equipment. Motion seconded and carried.
- Motion made to authorize the expenditure of up to $2000 for software upgrades for the book scanner and for post-processing. Motion seconded and carried.
- Search for “Research Librarian” continues with investigation of two leads.
- Library re-arrangement: Dave has a preliminary draft that we want to finalize in the next couple weeks. The goal is to have most of the re-arrangement done by the end of May.
- Book Return Box in the Cove Office was proposed and Ted Hadley said that that could happen.
- A center shelf in the Back Room may be built to give us more room.
- Trophies and memorabilia are going to be gotten rid of and doing so would give more usable space.
- Scanned copies of Who’s Who folders could be added to our Database and possibly made available on-line.
- A floorplan will be included in the Library re-arrangement document and that will have room names and will show what material goes in each area.
- SOP re-write is now in progress.
- Library Events: We had an open house for AANR and a 35’th Anniversary booth 2 weeks ago at the same weekend as the Cove’s 50th Anniversary celebration. Our real anniversary is Sept 3, 2014 and the question is what are we planning for that?
- Ted Hadley suggested having a Cove Resident’s Block Party at the Library. The tentative agreement is for November 2014.
- Publicity: Need more authors to write blurbs. E-Frog is also an opportunity.
- Dave suggested writing short items for “Did You Know?”
Adjournment: Motion made and seconded to adjourn the meeting (12:01 PM), Accepted.