Train Send Newsletter to Members
Jul 10, 2016
Return to Training Main Page
ANRL’s Newsletter is distributed in three ways:
- By USMail to the ~40 members who have requested USMail Delivery. See details below for a procedure to print mail labels.
- By printing a couple dozen copies and making them available at the Library. The Newsletter lead person will print copies as needed.
- By sending via email with the FileMaker Membership Database of email addresses. See details below for a procedure to send with FileMaker email.
Details for testing before printing or Emailing anything
This procedure is a way to harmlessly test functionality of the scrips used to print or Email material. Any records in the Database that are #9000 or higher are ignored by all of the scrips. There are several records that can be edited in any way for testing. For example, I use record #9002 which now has Email address email@example.com. If I select just this record, I can click on a button to send Newsletter to found set and since the found set is just record #9002, a Newsletter is sent to only that address. To verify the script is working, I click on the link then get into the Mail App and look for a Newsletter. The same record could be used for Mail Label testing, for mailing reminders for dues payments, etc.
- Search for 9002
- Verify that there is only one record selected
- do the test: click on on of the buttons to print or send mail, etc.
Details for printing Mail labels
Open the Membership Database and navigate to the Control 3 tab. There is a section on the right of the page called Print Newsletter Mail Labels. There is a button in this section called Find USMail NL. Click this button to create a Found Set of ~40 members. Insert the correct paper into a printer. There is a button called Print Labels NL and this will print the labels. You will need to select the correct printer.
Details for sending Newsletters by email
- Get the PDF for the Newsletter and name it ANRL_Newsletter
- The script that sends Newsletters is programmed to use this filename therefore it won’t work unless the name is exactly as shown.
- Save the file to the /Database Test folder in ANRL’s Dropbox
- The script that sends Newsletters is programmed to look for the file in this folder therefore it won’t work if you put the file some other place.
- Navigate to the Control 3 tab of the Membership panel in FileMaker
- Click the button Find All Reg Members with Email
- This creates a Found Set of ~180 records
- Click the button 021R Email Newsletter to found set
- NOTE Once you click on this button you can not stop the process. Be sure you have selected the right member records and the Found Set is correct.
- Before clicking on this button, please verify that the computer is connected to the ANRL WiFi. There is a small icon in the lower right of the screen that brings up WiFi information.
- The process of sending the ~180 Newsletters will take 5–10 minutes. You will see a blinking cursor and will not be able to do other FileMaker work until the script finishes.