Material Handling Procedures
Updated July 9, 2016
Return to Librarian Procedures
Library Material Location and Definitions
Material Handling Procedures for Material Coming In and Going Out of the library
- The flow of material both in and out of the library needs to be controlled so the Database will properly reflect ANRL’s material. This process includes the following areas:
- New material that comes in as donations or in any other way.
- Sold surplus material or Material that is given away or donated to other organizations.
- Borrowed material (material that members have borrowed.)
- Advantages of defining procedures for material flow
- Librarians will know exactly what to do without any confusion.
- All Librarians will do things the same way.
- The Database will accurately reflect ANRL’s inventory.
- Inventories may still be necessary but not needed frequently.
- New Material from Donations
- Donation may come in from any source.
- A record of the kind of donation is made by a librarian in the “Donation Log Book.” The record should have the donator’s name, address and Email clearly written so proper acknowledgement is possible. Mark the record “Anonymous” if necessary.
- The donated item or items are set aside by the librarian for proper logging and identification by the Secretary. A convenient place to set the newly donated items is on the table under the “Material Information Station.”
- The secretary will search the Database and will determine whether it’s ne new material or extra copies of material that we already have.
- Database updates will be made by the secretary as appropriate.
- The secretary will mark the material with the proper tags or stamps.
- Either the secretary or the librarian will place the new material on its proper shelf or in its proper bin.
- The donation Log Book will be updated by the person who acknowledged when acknowledgement is complete.
- The secretary will send letters and Emails of acknowledgement.
- The Donation Log should have the name and date of the acknowledgement and also the kind of acknowledgement, such as verbal, letter or Email.
- Surplus Material that is sold or donated
- Records of sold material will be used to update our Database and then to make updated reports which will be posted on our Web site.
- Patrons wanting to purchase our surplus material will see accurate lists of our surplus material on our Web site.
- Surplus DVDs for DVDs which are not protected by Copyright will be replaced by the secretary by burning a new copy from the Master DVD.
- Borrowed material (material that members have borrowed)
- We want to keep track of borrowed material so we can get it back. As of today, this process is managed by “Book/Video Checkout Forms” and “Library Cards” and is not tracked in the Database.
- Results from “Feedback Forms” is tracked in the Database.